4.09.2011

Freegan awesome.

A while ago Summer and I were talking about dumpster diving. My first time ever was in elementary school with my friend Jennifer Clark. We paroozed the dumpsters after school was out for summer break and found a lot of cool stuff. I haven't done it for a long time, but it always enters my mind. Luckily I found Summer who seriously is my soul sister. Who else would suggest dumpster diving? We did a little bit of research and were off. We tried Trader Joe's first but had zero luck. We drove around a mall and everything was locked up. Then Summer suggest QFC (Quality Food Center comparable to Harmons for you Utah folk) It is in a strip mall so we parked my car off to the side and surveyed the dumpsters. We came across one that said , " STOP!!! Food waste only" Ding ding ding. It looked like a big, fresh, colorful salad. There were even large ice chunks intermingled in the "salad", so we knew it was fresh. Summer jumped in and we filled up our bags in about three minutes. I'd say for rookies we did very well. 


Pre-Diving

The Salad.

My hero. 

The goods. 

Organic!










Go here to learn more about Freegans. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That seems so wasteful for them to be throwing out all that food. I'm glad someone can use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS is radical, how fun! glad you found our blog- and I am jealous to see you live in washington! i freakin love that place. can't wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just don't know how I feel about this. But good for you that you aren't letting "good" food go to waste!! :) You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what about the homeless people that wait until its a little more full to dive and get the goods that they can't afford? Are you technically robbing from the less fortunate?

    ReplyDelete