4.21.2011

NOT so HUMANE.

At the park today I met Hannah:

Needless to say, I fell in love. As all of you know my animals are my babies and I was ready to be her mommy. But apparently she is not available for adoption because she is being used as a cute face at a money making event where she will be up for adoption exclusively by an attendee. So basically, the Humane Society is Hanna's pimp. Poor girl. I am so livid about this that I even wrote the National Humane Society. I am sure nothing will come from it, but I am still not surrendering. Here is the letter:

Hi my name is Sharon Orcutt. I live in Renton, Washington with my husband. We are huge animal lovers and currently have two dogs and a cat. I have had our dogs since they were eight weeks old ( they are both four now) and we recently added our beautiful cat to our family three months ago. We adopted this cat from the Seattle Humane Society. I was at the park with my two dogs enjoying the warm weather and met a woman there with a Puggle. We spoke for a long time while the dogs all played and I found out the Puggle, Hannah, was currently being fostered by this woman. We spoke for over an hour and I just fell in love with Hannah and know she is a perfect fit for us. She played so well with my dogs and currently lives with three cats and loves them. She is a perfect size for us and we are excited to add to our little family. We have a beagle and we just love him to pieces and Hannah has so many beagle qualities we just love. I called the Seattle Humane society about adopting Hannah and was on my way there to fill out the necessary paperwork when the girl told me Hannah was NOT available. I checked on their site and she was not posted for adoption so I called them back. I was transferred several times and ended speaking to the women in charge of cat adoptions. I remember the foster mom telling me Hannah was being used for an event the Seattle Humane Society puts on annually, but I thought surely this would not prevent little Hannah from being adopted into our loving home today! But I was wrong. After an hour of being told I could not in fact adopt her because she was needed pretty much as a "cute face" for their event and I could try and adopt her at the event in a few weeks. This seems completely opposite of the Humane Society I know to have the animals BEST interests in mind, and not to capitalize on the cuteness of a puppy. We want to give Hannah a permanent, loving home she deserves. I am willing to do what it takes so we can have Hannah be apart of our family. I hope you are someone who can help me, or can point me in the direction of someone who can.

Thank you for your help.

Sharon Orcutt.
  

2 comments:

  1. I read this and then raved about it to my mom haha. This is the worst!! Please keep me posted. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Shar, not Humane indeed.

    ReplyDelete