4.08.2011

Girl Power?

 Here is a scenario: You are waiting in line to return something you're not sure the store will take back. There are two staff working, a male and a female. Do you secretly wish you get the male to help you because you know he will give you less grief about returning said item? I know I do. Am I alone on this? I feel like women are a lot more rude to other women. I know this doesn't pertain to all women, but I have had a lot of experiences like the one I am about to share.

Today I went to the Goodwill ( shocker, I know..) I found a cute pair of jeans and decided to try them on.  In the dressing room, after I already fell in love with them and how they made my ohsolargebooty look luscious (totally joking) and I reached down to see how much they were. I could not find a price tag anywhere on them. And NO, this is not one of those times I found something I really wanted but didn't feel it was... "properly priced" and took the tag of myself to see how much the cashier would say it cost... GUILTY! This time the girl before me did that I guess. I was standing in the check out line. Cashier #1- An older, Asian lady. Cashier #2- A Hispanic man in his early thirties. The line was pretty long, and I was really hoping it would work out that Cashier #2 was going to be the one to help me, but when my turn came it was Cashier #1. I greeted her kindly and asked how her day was going. She ignored me. I told her that I could not find the tag and without even looking at me said $12.99. I then politely told her I was no longer interested and would go put them back on the rack. Which really is what I was going to do but curiosity got the best of me and sneakily hopped back into Cashier #2's line. I greeted him the same way as I did Cashier#1, he was a lot friendlier. He examined the jeans and decided on the price of $3.99. SCORE!


Meet my new jeans. 

Have any of you had similar experiences? Or do you totally disagree with me? Both are acceptable.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely screen my cashiers, haha, but not necessarily based on gender. I remember I used to "price match" random stuff at Walmart if I didn't like the price (guilty) and I had to be very choosy about my cashiers. It was usually which one looked like they cared less. Then they wouldn't bother asking me if I have the ad. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! Women are totally rude to other women! I really try not to be and I really try to offer out compliments to girls I see walking down the street when I like something of theirs (hair, shoes, clothes, etc). I try to be very friendly because of this... I wish everyone else did too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that women are so rude to other women. I always hated going to get job applications and things because I always got the look over competition run down from the girl at the counter. Awesome deal! I'm a good will and DI fanatic too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so funny that you posted this - my dad has the biggest theory that when it comes to customer service ALWAYS get a man. he's not sexist, he just knows that men will always be nicer and more willing to work with you over a woman. he's actually tested it - called got a woman she said "absolutely not" called back right after got a man and he said "of course not a problem, we'll take care of it...."

    this is a true story.

    so anytime my family has to call in for customer service - if a woman answers we either ask for a man, or say sorry and hang up and call back until we get a man :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I worked in customer service the guys were usually more willing to bend the often unfair rules than women. I would call a superior and ask to give a customer a break, and often the women would say no, but the few guys working were usually lenient. I think there is more pressure on women than men to prove themselves as "good" employees, which usually means following rules. So, IMO its not totally their fault, but true, females can be catty :)

    ReplyDelete